Thursday, February 20, 2014

Jazzman

A cursory check of the blog revealed that this song has never come up prior to today. I find this astonishing, especially since I recently told a friend that it spoke to me on a spiritual level.

"Jazzman" is my favorite Carole King song, which is a pretty impressive statement right off the bat. I love the music, I love the words, I love the delivery. For me, it really describes the power of music. So I'm a tiny bit surprised that Carole King was not responsible for the lyrics. Those were penned by David Palmer, perhaps best-known as a one-time member of Steely Dan (he sang "Dirty Work"). What a fantastic collaboration between Palmer and King (who wrote the music in addition to singing the song).

There's not a lot I can add to this song except to tell you to listen to it and see if it transports you the way it does your present author. Meanwhile, here are the sites for Carole King and David Palmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment