Friday, April 26, 2013

George Jones

The most amazing thing about George Jones is that he lived to be 81. I mean no disrespect to the man or his musical talent and legacy when I say this. But really, who saw that coming? When you realize how infamous Jones was for his extracurricular activities for ages, I consider it a triumph for the Possum that he managed to clean up his act and live a long and fruitful life.

I could post a George Jones song as a tribute to the man and his work, but if you know him, it's something you would already know by heart anyway. I choose instead to post this ultimate show of respect from Alan Jackson at the 1999 CMA Awards. As some background, Jones declined the chance to perform on that program when he was asked to sing a severely-abbreviated version of his single "Choices". That led to this moment.



Rest in peace, George Jones. You earned it the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment