Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Sphinx, And Why You Should Read It

This began life as a piece for a contest for Bill Cunningham and Pulp 2.0 Press. After finishing it, I realized it didn't quite fit into the stated parameters of the contest. I'm still going to try to put together something for that, but I also decided I like this too much to let it go to waste. Therefore, consider this a bit of early promotion for the SPHINX collection due from Pulp 2.0 Press!

I have a confession to make. While I distinctly remember seeing the ads for Jeff Weigel's Sphinx ashcans in the Image Big Bang Comics #3, I never ordered copies of them. Why? I wish I had a good answer at this late date. When the Sphinx stories turned up in the BB series, I wasn't too surprised, but I also realized I had made a terrible mistake by not jumping on board at my earliest opportunity.

Jeff Weigel's Sphinx had a confidence in both story and art that belied the fact that it was Jeff's first attempt(!) at doing a comic book story. Here was a hero that was at once both classically-styled and excitingly new. The Sphinx wasn't exactly a "retro" strip, but neither was it typical of superhero comics of its time. No, it had a maybe a pinch more heart and soul than a lot of the four color fantasies that were populating the shops of the 1990s.

The Sphinx was and is a fantastic series, with some decidedly unexpected twists in its narrative. It is also beautifully drawn, and demonstrates the love and care Jeff Weigel puts into his craft. If you're reading these words, chances are you already know these things. But if you're the kind who reads the text features first, you have some grand entertainment in store for you.

Yes, I was a loser who didn't order the Sphinx ashcans when I had the chance. However, Bill Cunningham and Pulp 2.0 Press are now making these wonderful stories available all over again. So please join me in welcoming Jeff Weigel and the Sphinx back to our bookshelves. You were missed, gentlemen!

Jeff Weigel
Pulp 2.0 Press
Big Bang Comics

No comments:

Post a Comment