Tuesday, March 19, 2013

My BOC Concert Report, 12 Years Later

The following was originally written July 23, 2012 in response to a query put forth by "I'm Damaged And I Like It" about attending Blue Oyster Cult shows. I've combined two different replies into one, and tweaked things slightly. Thanks to my collection of newspaper clippings, I now know the concert I attended was Sunday, May 6, 2001. Unfortunately, the report I wrote directly after getting home that night has since been lost. Since I'm working on cleaning out my Tumblr account (a story for another day), I wanted to preserve this piece for the record.

I went to an outdoor show in 2001. Amazing night. It was part of the local Contraband Days festival, and I think they were the last band that played as part of it. I wasn’t as knowledgeable about BOC at the time, but I knew I was a fan and I knew I had to see them.

This was when Allen Lanier was still in the band with Eric and Buck, so it was as close as you’d get to the “classic” lineup in recent years. In fact, if you’re familiar with A Long Day’s Night CD and DVD releases, that’s a pretty good snapshot of the band from that time. My show wasn’t as long as the commercially-available one (I wanna say 90 minutes start to finish), and I think they performed “Pocket” from Curse of the Hidden Mirror rather than “Dance on Stilts” (though maybe it was both?). Curse wasn’t even out yet, so whatever came from it was totally new and unfamiliar.

As Eric Bloom and Buck Dharma slow down their touring, and with Allen retired, I’m glad I got to see them when I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment