Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Zen Pencils

This one's going to be short, because you're going to have some reading to do after I'm done. Sunday night, I saw this comic on Tumblr. It's at once hilarious and poignant. Every time I look at it, I can't decide if I should laugh or cry. Often, I find I'm doing both.

Zen Pencils is a webcomic of a sorts. It's described as "Cartoon quotes from inspirational folks," and that's a good shorthand. The quotes are all meaningful (even if you don't always agree with them), but it's cartoonist Gavin Aung Than's ability to tell a story around them that makes Zen Pencils worth your time.

As it turns out, I'd seen an earlier example of Zen Pencils and been struck by it: this one. I suppose I chalked it up as just a one-shot thing. I was very wrong, and I urge you to discover just how wrong I was. Zen Pencils is worth the time it will take to peruse the archives. Don't be surprised if you find something that speaks to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment