Thursday, June 23, 2011

Black X - 2011


Black X - 2011 by ~celamowari on deviantART

I've lately been thinking about the untapped potential of my character Black X. Unlike most of the characters I created in elementary school, he has a very primal quality that stands the test of time. I really would like to find a place for him in the Owariverse one of these fine days, but I really need to do stuff with the characters already there first. There's also some continuity revision that I think I'd like to do, but that's a story for another time.

Anyway, I decided to draw Black X to get back into the art swing of things. I did a digitally-colored portrait of him in 2007, which can be seen here or here (oddly, it generated no comments at all). This time, I elected to use the pencil-shading I utilized for the "My Legion" pics also from 2007. Given Black X's outfit, he was uniquely suited for this treatment.

This picture also gave me the opportunity to test-run my new scanner, and work out the kinks in its settings. I chose to not do any digital clean-up at all, and instead present this one essentially "as is". Though by no means a masterpiece, this Black X pic is the most satisfying piece I've done from a personal standpoint in a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment