Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Livetweeting American Top 40 - The 70's

As I have mentioned before, I listen to Casey Kasem's American Top 40 - The 70's weekends on my local station KHLA 92.9. I have a great time with it, but I have two problems enjoying the show. You see, it airs from 9 AM to 12 PM, so I frequently doze during the first hour and always have to miss the last half hour due to having to be at work at 11:30.

I can't do anything about the latter issue, but the dozing off really bothers me. As I see it, it arises not only from my still being sleepy, but also from my lack of anything other than the radio to focus my attention. Well, I recently linked my Twitter account to my phone, and I had a brainstorm. Why not livetweet AT40 - The 70's to keep my mind active? This past weekend, I did just that.

I livetweeted the show on both Saturday and Sunday, so what follows is a combination of both airings into a single timeline. The program in question was originally from the weekend of October 7, 1972. I was not even 3 months old at the time.

Now, on with the countdown!
  • 9:18 AM - How many times did Casey Kasem tell the story of Joe Cocker getting bottles thrown at him?
  • 9:20 AM - Also, this is one strange version of Midnight Rider.
  • 9:27 AM - I swear the Bee Gees are on every one of these shows.
  • 9:41 AM - Hey, a citation for the story of how the Eagles decided on their name!
  • 9:48 AM - Elton John & 'redneck ways' - quite the contrast there.
  • 10:24 AM - We have an Arlo Guthrie sighting on AT40: The 70s!
  • 10:26 AM - Get on the good foot!
  • 10:43 AM - 'Think of me & try not to laugh.' Oh Rod Stewart, I don't know if that's possible.
  • 10:44 AM - Ricky Nelson had a black belt?
  • 10:51 AM - It is very jarring to hear Rick Springfield on a 1972 show.
  • 11:22 AM - Popcorn & My Ding-a-ling back to back. Did I program this show?
  • 11:26 AM - Elviiiiiis! He's a hunka hunka burning love!
  • 11:38 AM - The Raspberries justify being late for work. Go all the way!
In case you were wondering, the number one song on this program was "Ben" by Michael Jackson.

I had a lot of fun doing this, and it kept me alert though the whole show on Sunday. Hopefully, I can make it a semi-regular thing. Keep watching the Internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment