Monday, May 24, 2010

My World : Macro Warriors

Macro Warrior
The Macro Warriors are giant robots created by Third World, and are the crowning technological achievement of that subversive organization. Of course, that doesn't mean they aren't a little buggy from time to time.

The most notable appearance of the Macro Warriors was when Third World launched a full-scale attack on Major City with a squadron of the mechanical monoliths. This epic battle led to the formation of the super team the Invincible Alliance, which is another example of Third World's exceedingly bad planning.

At least one Macro Warrior has been captured intact and is in the custody of the authorities. This refurbished robot was called into action to subdue the rampage of the giant ape Gargantua Maximus.


Giant robots are something that I enjoy a lot, so it's only natural that I would find a place for them in the Captain Satellite world. The name "Macro Warrior" is influenced by both the Shogun Warriors and Micronauts toy lines. Ah, toys in the 1970s. We had so much fun with them.

This particular profile picture is a composite of two different drawings. The pilot was drawn and colored as a separate element and then incorporated into the robot at a much smaller size. He's actually so small in the final copy that at least some of the work I put into him doesn't show up, but I know it's there and that is what counts.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to post something here because I noticed that I almost never see comments on your Captain Satellite stuff; I, at least, love seeing these characters. I think you do a great job of capturing all the best elements of the Silver and Bronze Ages without having your characters feel like relics. (As opposed to what a lot of comics do now, which is to take the less engaging aspects of the Silver Age and fuse them to the worst parts of comics from the '90s.)

    So, yeah; your characters are awesome, and I always look forward to visiting your blog so I can see your new updates, whatever they may be about. But more Captain Satellite stuff is always a special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thank you! Part of why they get fewer comments here is because the pictures (and much of the accompanying text) have previously appeared on my deviantArt account. Several of the folks who read this blog have commented on them over there.

    I sincerely appreciate your compliments. I grew up smack dab in the Bronze Age, and loved the Golden and Silver Age stories I read during that same time. So I have a fondness for the trappings of all those eras, and they play a major part in what I do with my mini-universe.

    I've been honing my approach to this sort of thing over on my other site, Return of Jetman, for several years. I just try to create and write things that I think would be fun if I were to discover them. I'm glad you agree!

    Don't worry - there will be more Captain Satellite goodness here, from several different sources!

    ReplyDelete