Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Anatomy of a Crisis

April 21, 2010 was a very good day. Why? Well, one reason was that a certain book I've discussed here went on sale. That's right - Crisis on Multiple Earths Vol. 5 is now in my hands.

Did it live up to my expectations? Oh, I'd say it pretty much did. I mean, I know the stories (see linked entry in the first paragraph), so I knew what I was getting in terms of content. The reproduction is the aspect that was the biggest question mark, and for the most part, it's fine. I have a couple of quibbles here and there, but nothing I'd tag major. My biggest beef is that I wish the people who reconstruct artwork would sit back and READ THE PAGE when they are done. C'mon guys, creating new typos (or the appearance of them) is just sloppy. But if that's my biggest beef, well, I'd call that a good day overall.

You can see the exquisite cover at the DC link. Regrettably, there is a paucity of extras for this volume. No extra pin-ups, reprinted letters, or even a text piece beyond the creator bios. I'm not complaining, but that kind of stuff has always made these particular books even better deals. Guess there just wasn't enough pages to go around this time.

If you love the classic teamings of the Justice League and Justice Society, or are just perversely curious to see Jonah Hex riding a flying horse, this is a book for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment