Tuesday, October 6, 2009

So Long, And Thanks For All The Sushi

So, one night a couple of years ago, my pal Lewis showed me something. No, not that, you gutterminds. He showed me this catalog page and told me to pay special attention to no. 25. My reaction was, "Wait, that's...What?"

It's Machine Dolphin, from the mid-1980s superhero series MACHINEMAN, complete with a Machineman action figure. All these years, I had no idea that such a toy had managed to make it to our shores. I mean, why MACHINEMAN of all things?

MACHINEMAN, if you don't know (and why should you?) bears no relation to either the Ideal toy or the Jack Kirby-created Marvel character. It's one of many series created by Shotaro Ishinomori. It's not, however, one that made his legend. MACHINEMAN is pretty lightly regarded by those that even know about it. I can't disagree. From what I've watched, MACHINEMAN is just OK at best. I've seen episodes dubbed in Portuguese from Brazil, and my one-time Brazilian penpal was aghast when I wanted MACHINEMAN rather than some more memorable show.

The show does have a cool intro though.



(If you're reading the Facebook feed, you can watch it here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment