Thursday, October 1, 2009

Black X

Black X

Black X (also known as "Dark X") is the latest member of my fabled Secret Society to get the full-color portrait treatment. As for the rest of them, well, we'll see.

Now, Black X is one of my better-looking hero designs. His name is pretty boss, too. There was a strip from Quality Comics in the 1940s called "Black X" (created by Will Eisner!), but I knew nothing of that when I created my hero.

I think Black X got consigned to my parallel Earth Secret Society because I had a "Black" character in my Legion (Black Knight) and an "X" character, too (Avenging X). Still, that didn't stop him from looking way cool. Check out the number he's doing on that crook! I don't know if I'd give him a gun that shoots out X's now, but I JUST MIGHT.

Like Bat Eater, Black X was a challenge because of his color scheme. I decided giving him a grey jumpsuit would be fine, particularly since it could emulate the graphite look he had for most of his life. I ended up redoing my inks digitally in addition to doing some corrections on the picture. Plus, the pose was a bit of a happy accident.

I'm quite pleased with the way this one turned out, and I think it makes a worthy companion to the Conehead and Bat Eater pictures. I hope you folks like it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment