Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bat Eater

Bat Eater

Following on the heels of Conehead, here we have Bat Eater. Bat Eater was another member of my Secret Society. It took me awhile to even remember his name, to be honest. Fortunately, I had given my grandmother a few of my "books" back in the day, and I ended up getting them back when she passed away. So thanks to the foresight of Maw Maw Elam in saving those little treasures, I can assure you that this cat was, in fact, named "Bat Eater".

Now as far as why he was named that, I'm not sure. He has fangs, but I don't know if he was meant to be a vampire or not. Possibly, he was meant to be a science-created vampire...or something. Anyway, I don't think he drank blood. Did he acquire his powers from eating bats? You know, at six years old, that might have made perfect sense.

(There is also the fact that one of the members of the Legion of Super-Heroes was named "Matter-Eater Lad". Influence? No idea...)

Bat Eater's outfit has been tweaked somewhat for the 21st century. Mostly, I gave him blue accents instead of making him all black. The glider wings are also blue, but a darker shade. Instead of the standard letters on his chest, I gave him an insignia that keeps with his theme without just being a straight copy of Batman's.

Will you be seeing more latter-day renderings of my old characters? Oh, I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment